Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Influences.....Good or Bad

Well, it is Tuesday, I am getting ready to go to Piglet 1's house with Piglet 3 and a friend. No not that kind of friend, a friend of Piglet 1's. Remember I have Earthpig!!! Anyway, influences. Well, a few years ago Jinx decided she would take up the flute and floute once again. She plays nicely and joined the symphony, or whatever, in her town. Well, Fozzie decided that he enjoyed the tuba, so he bought a mouthpiece. Honestly, how long do you think that would last?? Not long after, the whole tuba followed. Well, in my family Piglet 2 taught himself to play guitar. He plays well. Piglet 1 thought she wanted to learn too, so she went out, bought herself a guitar and is teaching herself guitar.

Yesterday I decided I needed to join the band wagon, figuritively and literally. I went to the local music store and rented a clarinet. The last time I played the clarinet secretaries used manual typewriters and gritty erasers with brushes on the end to correct mistakes. But I remember enjoying it, so why not. Earthpig wanted an Irish Tin Whistle so I ordered him one and it should be here Friday. Piglet 3 wants a guitar also. I would like to say we could have a band but I am not to sure how that would sound, 3 guitars, a clarinet and a tin whistle. If we got the NC clan with us it could be more interesting, add a tuba and flute.

Home I came with my clarinet. I would like to say I played it right off. I would like to say that, but that would not be the truth. I blew, and I blew, just the mouthpiece, not the whole thing. Jinx told me to sit down before I started to play because I would get dizzy. REALLY???? Well, sound finally came out. A very nice note. AND THE DOG WENT WILD!! She seemed to think this was a new toy and she had to kill it. Well as if that wasn't bad enough I put it together then blew a beautiful haunting note and she thought some crazy dog thought. Her eyes glazed over and I saw her mind singing "Kill the rabbit, kill the rabbit". I decided that I would go into another room and lock her out. She didn't think that was very fair, but I thought I should keep teeth marks off the clarinet, I am only renting it. So, with fingering chart in hand, I practiced the scale. Not too bad, not great, but for the first time in decades I didn't embarass myself. Of course I was the only one in the house, except for the crazy dog.

We will have to see how well this goes. How much I practice and how much I get out of it. Also, if the dog goes absolutly bonkers. Stay tuned. If I ever get to the point where I can play anything I'll attach it and you can listen. Don't hold your breath, or you'll get dizzy too.

This is not the only influence Jinx has had in my life. I also knit because of her. I am going to learn to spin because of her. I am sure there are other things I do because of her but that will be another post.

2 Comments:

At 20/12/05 12:18, Blogger Bluejinx said...

You have a blog because of me. You cut your hair because of me.You had a nervous breakdown because of me. Oh wait, that one was not my fault!!

Love you, mean it.

Jinx

 
At 27/12/05 12:38, Blogger TET said...

You had a nervous breakdown after me, mine was first. So YOU had one because of me! Or something like that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home